Data management tips?

Home Forums Public Discussion Data management tips?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Donovan Tousignant Donovan Tousignant 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

So, I’ve been saving up to build a computer, and I’ve got nice up to date components picked out, and I think it’ll be a pretty big jump forward from my aging laptop. BUT, the thing that keeps bugging me is that the more I compose, record, and produce the more data I have to deal with. The rig I’ll be building won’t have any storage issues like my current one but I’d like to go into it with a plan or format in place to keep my stuff meticulously organized. Furthermore, the data I have on my current rig and collection of externals is all jumbled and I’d like to do something about that too before I retire the laptop.

I’ve got some ideas, but how do you guys keep your data organized? How do you deal with file name/location issues? Have any of you experimented with running simple programs to do some of the work for you? I saw a book about Python that mentioned this.

If it helps I plan on having 5 internal SSDs and an external archive that I’ll update regularly and keep locked in a fireproof chest.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Nothing is worse than wanting to work and getting bogged down digging through file trees for that one version of that one song that might have that one performance you need.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Hi Donovan,

Here’s how I have my setup configured. I’ve got a total of 6 drives listed below:

2 X 500GB SSD’s
    2 X 1TB SSD’s
    2 X 6TB HDD’s

Each pair is RAID mirrored (RAID 1) to protect my data. So, both of the 500GB SSD’s are always exact copies of one another, 1TB SSD’s are always copies, etc.

I use the 500GB drives for all apps and personal files. The 1TB drives for sample libraries, vst’s, basically all audio stuff. And I use the 6TB drives for storage. As soon as I finish a project I move it onto the 6TB drives and delete it off the 500GB drives.

I’m concerned with my apps and libraries loading quickly which is why I have them on SSD’s. But, I don’t really care if the HDD’s take a while to load since they are just bulk storage. Mirroring all the drives is an insurance policy – they don’t need the other drive to work. As soon as one drive fails, I can use the working copy and copy all the data to a replacement drive. Then, you should be able to RAID the two drives (1 old, 1 new) since they should be exact copies. Luckily, I haven’t had a drive fail yet so I can’t tell you for certain if the “re-raiding” is as simple as I think it should be.

If you’re not as drive failure paranoid as I am, you can use one of the other RAID options listed here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/RAID.html

Hope that helps and/or gives you some ideas for your setup!

Oh! I should add that I have my OS and current projects on the 500GB drives.

Awesome! You just gave me a clear game plan for hardware and data redundancy. Had no idea but RAID; saw the word somewhere but never bothered learning about it. I’m terrified of drive failure haha. I listen to my drives like car buffs listen to their engines. Thanks for the info, man.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.