Mobile Music

Home Forums Public Discussion Mobile Music

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeff Penny

I was asked to write the music for a mobile game, however I have never really tried to write music for a mobile platform before. Are there any tips I should know that would make it sound the best it can through a tiny smart phone speaker? Even if it seems really obvious or basic I appreciate any advice.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    William Chrapcynski
    Participant

After having done some iOS stuff, I found that it helps playing the music out of such a device to see how it sounds and mix accordingly. They’re really not going to pump out a huge amount of low end and can often be a bit piercing in the upper range. Other than watching for those things, I really haven’t had to do anything special to accommodate the platform.

Jeff Penny

That is pretty much what I did but I am running into this weird problem. This one specific note, every time it is played in the piece it sounds like it is clipping. When I listen on speakers it is fine, I am only running into the problem on mobile devices. Also, every note lower than it and higher than it is fine, it is just this one note. I tried making the volume of that one note almost nothing and it still had the same problem. Are there any ideas or do I just have to rewrite the music to not use that note?

William Chrapcynski
    Participant

It sounds like that note may be causing the phone to resonate. Well, that’s if you’re listening via the phones built in speaker. You could try using EQ on that particular instrument to notch out the offending frequency. Of course, using a different note will fix it as well. If you can find the offending resonate frequency of that note, though, you should be able to just notch it out with EQ.

Jeff Penny

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I just wasn’t sure if there could be some other culprit because I tried it on android phones and iphones but still had the same problem. I suppose there is something about mobile speakers that makes that note resonate. I tried EQing it though and tried a whole bunch of frequencies but I couldn’t find the right one so I guess I will just have to figure something else out.

William Chrapcynski
    Participant

If you look at that note through a spectrum analyzer, you should be able to see if there’s a set of frequencies that are much louder than others. That should help out a bit.

playing the mix on the target device is the best strategy. For most mobile devices do NOT rely on any frequency under 120hz or so. You won’t hear it thru the speaker. Frequencies between 1250 and 3k are going to always pop out of the device like you never imagined, so you have to overtame the high hats, cymbals, strings etc…

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.