Spreadsheets for Sound Designers?

Home Forums Public Discussion Spreadsheets for Sound Designers?

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

Hi, everyone.

I’m curious to know in what ways would you use spreadsheet programs for sound design work in gaming audio. I saw a GDC vault pdf that has a few snapshots of super huge spreadsheets with tons of data.

How do you use spreadsheets for your work, and what advice can you offer for best practices?

Cheers!
    Eddie

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dante Vittone
    Participant

I want to suggest to you the book Audio For Games: Planning, Process, and Production by Alexander Brandon.

It was suggested to me, and is filled with numerous technical ways that you, as a game audio designer, can take advantage of programs like Excel to organize your work for yourself, and for your clients. I learned a whole ton!

Namely, Excel is actually a pretty powerful tool for linking written information to actual files. (e.g. You can make it so you have information, such as, “MC steps in mud.” which is actually a link, that, when clicked, will lead you to the relevant sound effect file. It’s really neat!)

Hope I could be of some assistance.

Josue Plaza

Thank you Dante. I’ll definitely check that book out. I’ve had that same question as Eduardo for a while. Amazon link for anyone else interested in the recommended book: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Games-Planning-Process-Production/dp/0735714134

Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

Thank you both very much for bringing these resources to my attention. I really appreciate it. I just placed an order for “Audio For Games: Planning, Process, and Production” by Alexander Brandon on Amazon. Lucky to get the used book in very good conditions for less than $15. 🙂

Learning Excel is good, but everyone pretty much works in google docs now. It’s very simple to use, you can share them online with whoever you want, and it’s become the standard, whether you’re in house or working freelance. Some in-house studios (big ones like EA/MS etc) will have proprietary tracking software, but google are fairly ubiquitous now.

Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

I don’t know why I was uploading excel sheets to dropbox. x_x

Thanks, Dren!

I’ve been reading Alexander Brandon’s book “Audio for Games,” and there are parts on it about managing projects with Microsoft Project (or maybe Project Libre if someone’s looking for an open source alt) as well as bug databases. Can I link info from either program to a google doc for easy navigation? What would you recommend to keep all that as simple as possible, maybe only use the google doc(s)?

Dante Vittone
    Participant

Excel is just one example of a spreadsheet program. Since the book is a little older than some, it just happened to be the flavor of the year.

Google Docs has spreadsheet functionality, I believe. The ideas and strategies for maintaining a clean, organized system can mostly be transferred into newer programs and such.

yeah, just use google docs (i guess it’s drive now) but yeah, you can make spreadsheets, text docs, presentations, etc. alex is great but he’d agree that his book is a bit dated! with the google sheets all of the team members can view/edit/track progress on assets etc. super easy to use too

Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

Awesome. Thank you both for sharing that with me. I’m using google docs now, very convenient. 😉

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.