Stereo or mono for mobile games 2014

Home Forums Public Discussion Stereo or mono for mobile games 2014

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

Hey gang,

Would it make sense to bounce music and or sound effects on mobile platforms in mono, all stereo, and so forth? I understand the ipad mini and air have “stereo speakers”. I’m not sure if the iPhone 5 does. Is there a point in releasing audio in mono format?

I’m wondering what your thoughts are with regards to these questions as well as anything else related.

Cheers,

Eddie

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

hi!
    you really need to decide with the developer. For what it’s worth, for most of my mobile projects (which is 75% of my work at least) I deliver mono audio SFX files. There’s really no need for the sfx (UI/weapons/hits/rewards etc) to be in stereo. Usually the music loops are in stereo, and I mix those on apple buds since a lot of people will be listening on those. I try to be sure that I am the one who delivers not only uncompressed audio, but also the compressed or optimized files so there isn’t some producer using garageband trying to do that on their end. It’s not so much about the device and whether you can replicate stereo on it’s speakers, but more about the game mix environment. And if the dev is using unity, those mono assets will be in a 3d space anyhow, so you wouldn’t want them in stereo.

There are also the different ways that android/iOS process audio files and the streams that are available (in addition to file types…android likes ogg and iOS doesn’t for instance.)

hope that helps, but be sure to always talk it over with the developer/team

Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

Dren, thanks so much on clarifying stereo vs mono for audio sfx files as well as why it should be mono for unity 3d environments.

So I should be delivering SFX in mono. I read you say at least 75% of the time. When would you deliver an SFX in stereo?

Good point on monitoring with the apple ear buds since people will listen with those anyway. Same goes with delivering compressed audio so that a producer doesn’t try to do that. Since compuphase doesn’t work on a mac, what can you recommend as a best alternative?

Would you be able to tell me what are the different ways that android/iOS process audio files and the streams that are available?

to clarify, I said i work on mobile games 75% of the time (at the moment), not deliver stereo assets 75% of the time. There is TONS of good info out there on the android and iOS systems of processing audio, google is your friend. And I’d suggest getting a cheap PC to not only run compuphase but also Wwise (though they do have a mac beta now), and probably some game builds from devs, or to just get Parallels and a copy of windows 7 and run it on yer mac. That’s what I do and it works beautifully when using compuphase or any other windows specific software.

Eddie Pacheco
    Participant

Holy crap, Parallels sounds like a super cheap and great investment. Thanks, Dren! I’ll study Wwise and get some game builds too. I’ll also research audio processing for ios/android.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.