What are some solid, inexpensive, orchestral libraries?

Home Forums Public Discussion What are some solid, inexpensive, orchestral libraries?

• Creator
    Topic

I’ve recently decided to put more effort into composition. I’ve been mostly into sound design since diving into the post world. I was a musician before a sound designer, and I started writing again and realized how much I miss it!

Here’s something I did the other day:

Now, the best selection I have right now is Expansion 2 inside Pro Tools. It’ll get the job done, but there are obviously better libraries out there. What do you use? I don’t make any money yet, so it’s difficult to convince my wife that we need $300 for some sampled brass instruments.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

It seems links don’t work.

Attempt number 2 also failed. It just doesn’t show up.

William Chrapcynski
    Participant

When it comes to orchestral libraries, cheap and good don’t really go hand in hand. When I took some classes from Berklee a couple of years ago, I invested in EWQLSO Gold and Vienna Symphonic Special Edition 1 Bundle. I tend to use the latter more often than not and it has been worth every penny.

The Vienna Special Edition 1 Bundle is about $650 but you can always get the first part of the library for about $350 and upgrade later on.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VSE1/

Personally I like using the EWQLSO gold samples, maybe that’s because I’ve been using them and I have not actually heard the Vienna Samples. I can build my sections with the master key switch instuments and then once I get the performance where I want it I’ll print them down for mix, plus the newer version of the play engine 4 is more stable than 3. it’s a reasonable price but to be honest I’d just save up and spend the money for the “Complete Composers Collection”. you get to choose 7 libraries from a choice of about 15 or 16 I think. and you’ll pretty much cover all of your basic composition needs. It’ll run you about $900.00 though.

I like the layers and the melody line, your right about the strings. if you had a better variety of performance samples you could really bring out a solid string background. I also like how the drums come in you should definitely develop it further.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looks like it is time to start saving!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.